Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Where I'm From Poem

I am from ice cream walks after school, from mac n' cheese late at night and watching Disney movies until I fell asleep. 
 
I am from the little brown house beside the church where I used to walk the block fifty times before I would call it quits. 
 
I am from the impatient gardens, the apple tree on the hill where we would pick an apple each night for our lunch the next day. 
 
I am from Sunday dinners and big butts, from the Rome's and Hanes' and Crim's. 
 
I am from the vertically challenged. From the land of Italian dark hair. From the light colored eyes. 
From being told it is okay to drive through red lights on Christmas day and that if you eat watermelon seeds a watermelon will grow in your tummy.
 
I am from Sunday church services at the Methodist church. From frilly church dresses and whit patent leather shoes.
 
I'm from the mountains of West Virginia. From steak and potatoes and true Italian spaghetti made by my grandmother.
 
From the trips to the attic with Aunt Debbie after Sunday dinners, the hide and go seek games so Aunt Debbie wouldn't have to do dishes, and the walks to Jackson to get ice cream. 
 
I am from a home of support through anything that occurs. From a home full of love and dependability.

No comments:

Post a Comment